Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cooking oil: 1tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- Granulated Sugar: 1tbsp
- Brown sugar: 1 tsp
- Minced or grated garlic: 4 cloves
- Lime: 1. 1tbsp for sauce
- Fish sauce: 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Carrot: 2.5 inch
- Chinese chili garlic sauce: 1/8-1/2 tsp depending on how spicy you want it
- Skinless, boneless chicken thighs: 4
- Lemongrass: 2 tbsp minced. I buy a large bag of pre-minced.
- Jasmine rice: 1.5 cups of rice with 2 cups of water
- Eggs: 4 large
- Cilantro: 10 sprigs chopped finely
- Green onions: 1 stem chopped finely
- Cabbage: 1/2 of a cabbage
- Chicken concentrate: 1 tsp with 1/2 cup of water
Cooking the rice
- Wash and drain rice. 1.5 cups of rice to 2 cups of water in a rice cooker
Marinating the chicken
- Wash and pat dry with paper towel. Place in a medium-size bowl to marinate.
- Combine: 1 tbsp of cooking oil, 2 tbsp of minced lemongrass, lime zest, 1 tsp of lime juice, 1 tsp of soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tsp of fish sauce
- Toss chicken evenly
Making the fish sauce
- In a small bowl, combine: 3 tbsp of water, 1 tbsp of fish sauce, 1tbsp of lime juice, 1 tbsp granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp of Chinese chili garlic sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic. Mix until sugar dissolves. Cut 2.5″ of carrot. Peel and julienne into thin toothpick like sizes for garnish.
- Chop cilantro, garlic, green onions
- Slice Chinese sausages into thin slice
- Julienne cabbage
Cooking the chicken thighs
- Drizzle some cooking oil in a large cooking pan and cook marinated chicken thighs for about 10-12 minutes on each side with a total of 20-24 minutes
Cooking the vegetables
- Scrambled 3 large eggs in a bowl. Drizzle some cooking oil in medium-size pan under medium high heat. Pour scrambled eggs over pan and let it sit for about 2 minutes, or until bottom layer starts to cook, leaving undisturbed. Use chopsticks to stir to break eggs into fluffy chunks of desired size. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and remove from pan into the previous bowl.
- Drizzle some cooking oil. Cook green onions, 2 cloves of minced garlic, cilantro, and Chinese sausages for about 30 seconds. Combine cabbages and chicken broth and cook for about 5-8 minutes, or until tender. Flavor with some ground black pepper. No salt neeed.
- Break 1 egg into pan and stir with chopsticks. This final egg binds the fluffy eggs and cabbages together. Cook until broth evaporates, stirring frequently.
Plate cooked rice, vegetables, and chicken. Drizzle the homemade fish sauce over the chicken and rice and enjoy!