Servings: 3 Preparation: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Ingredients Zucchini: 1 medium size, grated with skin on Carrot: 1 medium size, grated without skin Russel potato: 1 medium size, grated without skin Scallion: 1 stem, chopped finely Salt and pepper Chinese vinegar Lao Gan Ma chili sauce […]
Serving: 2 Preparation: 10 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes – 1 hr Ingredients Chicken drumsticks: 5-6 Shrimps: 150g Yellow onion: 1/2 Garlic: 1 clove Arborio rice: 3/4 cup Chorizo: 45g (precut) Chicken concentrate: 3/4 tbsp + 3 cups of water Mango and lime salsa: 4 […]
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Cooking oil: 1tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- Granulated Sugar: 1tbsp
- Brown sugar: 1 tsp
- Minced or grated garlic: 4 cloves
- Lime: 1. 1tbsp for sauce
- Fish sauce: 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Carrot: 2.5 inch
- Chinese chili garlic sauce: 1/8-1/2 tsp depending on how spicy you want it
- Skinless, boneless chicken thighs: 4
- Lemongrass: 2 tbsp minced. I buy a large bag of pre-minced.
- Jasmine rice: 1.5 cups of rice with 2 cups of water
- Eggs: 4 large
- Cilantro: 10 sprigs chopped finely
- Green onions: 1 stem chopped finely
- Cabbage: 1/2 of a cabbage
- Chicken concentrate: 1 tsp with 1/2 cup of water
Cooking the rice
- Wash and drain rice. 1.5 cups of rice to 2 cups of water in a rice cooker
Marinating the chicken
- Wash and pat dry with paper towel. Place in a medium-size bowl to marinate.
- Combine: 1 tbsp of cooking oil, 2 tbsp of minced lemongrass, lime zest, 1 tsp of lime juice, 1 tsp of soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tsp of fish sauce
- Toss chicken evenly
Making the fish sauce
- In a small bowl, combine: 3 tbsp of water, 1 tbsp of fish sauce, 1tbsp of lime juice, 1 tbsp granulated sugar, 1/4 tsp of Chinese chili garlic sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic. Mix until sugar dissolves. Cut 2.5″ of carrot. Peel and julienne into thin toothpick like sizes for garnish.
- Chop cilantro, garlic, green onions
- Slice Chinese sausages into thin slice
- Julienne cabbage
Cooking the chicken thighs
- Drizzle some cooking oil in a large cooking pan and cook marinated chicken thighs for about 10-12 minutes on each side with a total of 20-24 minutes
Cooking the vegetables
- Scrambled 3 large eggs in a bowl. Drizzle some cooking oil in medium-size pan under medium high heat. Pour scrambled eggs over pan and let it sit for about 2 minutes, or until bottom layer starts to cook, leaving undisturbed. Use chopsticks to stir to break eggs into fluffy chunks of desired size. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and remove from pan into the previous bowl.
- Drizzle some cooking oil. Cook green onions, 2 cloves of minced garlic, cilantro, and Chinese sausages for about 30 seconds. Combine cabbages and chicken broth and cook for about 5-8 minutes, or until tender. Flavor with some ground black pepper. No salt neeed.
- Break 1 egg into pan and stir with chopsticks. This final egg binds the fluffy eggs and cabbages together. Cook until broth evaporates, stirring frequently.
Plate cooked rice, vegetables, and chicken. Drizzle the homemade fish sauce over the chicken and rice and enjoy!
Servings: 2 Preparation: 15 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Ingredients Butter: 1 tbsp Salt and pepper Cooking or olive oil Beef steak: about 340g Potatoes and or yam: about 350-450g Green onions: 2 stems Dill: 10g/ 2 tbsp Peppercorn: whole or ground, 10g Coriander seeds: 10g […]
Servings: 2 Preparation: 5 minutes Cooking: 25 minutes Ingredients Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: 4 Spinach: 200g. Snip spinach leaves and cut stems into 2 inches length Dill: 6 sprigs, cut into small pieces Yellow Onion: 1/2 large, cut into thin slices Basmati rice: 157g Apple cider vinegar: […]
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Meatballs: Superstore Italian meatballs 1.8kg for $10. 9 per serving, so 18 meatballs
- Pasta: Superstore tagliatelle fresh pasta with 1-2 minutes of cooking time. The package comes in 700g. Each serving is 4 bunches, so 8 bunches total
- White mushrooms: 5 mushrooms cut into preferred size slices
- Bell pepper: any color of choice, 1 large, julienned and cut into smaller lengths as preferred
- Dill: 6 sprig, more or less as preferred
- Herbes de Provence for garnishing
- Honey garlic sauce: premade from Walmart
- Cheddar Alfredo sauce: From Superstore. Can substitute with any desired pasta sauce
Preparing the meat
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place parchment paper on large baking tray and place frozen meatballs in neat columns
- Generously coat each meatball with honey garlic sauce
- When ready, bake according to instructions. 10 minutes leaves the meatballs soft and moist and 12 minutes is slightly dry. Cook according to preference
- Remove meatballs from oven, fold parchment paper in half and roll meatballs to spread sauce evenly before serving
Preparing the pasta
- Boil water in a large pot and add 1/4 tsp of salt
- Cut and put mushrooms into the pot as it heats up to cook the mushrooms
- Cut the bell pepper and set aside
- When water boils, cook the tagliatelle for 1-2 minutes. Drain
- Add the dill, bell pepper, and Alfredo sauce. Slowly add sauce and stir. The amount is according to preference. Stir and cook for about 1-3 minutes to warm up the pasta sauce
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Place pasta on the plate, meatballs on top and garnish with Herbes de Provence. Enjoy!
Servings: 2 Preparation time: 30 mins Cooking time: 30 mins Ingredients Chicken breasts: 2 Chorizo sausage: 125g of small cubes Brussel sprouts: 5oz Celery: 1 stalk, cut into small pieces Chickpeas: 1 can (540ml) Yellow onion: Half, minced into small cubes Cherry tomatoes: 6 oz, […]
Baby toques are fast and fun projects when you want to give them as gifts, use up scrap yarns, or make them for charity. I made this post so I can easily refer to the instructions.
I use White Flower Needle’s pattern below.
|Age (in Months)||Cast On||Actual Head Circumference||Hat Circumference||Hat Height|
|0 – 3||60||13” ~ 14”||11.5”||5”|
|3 – 6||80||14” ~ 17”||14.5”||5.5”|
|6 – 12||96||16” ~ 19”||17”||6.5”|
Gauge: 22 sts x 30 rows = 4” x 4” in stocking sts; 4mm
Rounds 1-10: (K1, P1) around.
Round 11: K around.
Repeat Round 11 to reach Round (26, 34, 42) OR the hat measures approx. (3.25”, 3.75”, 5.25”) from the cast on edge.
Start to shape top.
Round 1: (K6, K2tog) around. (56, 70, 84) sts
Round 2: K around.
Round 3: (K5, K2tog) around. (48, 60, 72) sts
Round 4: K around.
Round 5: (K4, K2tog) around. (40, 50, 60) sts
Round 6: K around.
Round 7: (K3, K2tog) around. (32, 40, 48) sts
Round 8: K around.
Round 9: (K2, K2tog) around. (24, 30, 36) sts
Round 10: K around.
Round 11: (K1, K2tog) around. (16, 20, 24) sts
Round 12: K around.
Round 13: (K2tog) around. (8, 10, 12) sts
Cut the yarn about 10 inches ans with a yarn needle, pull the yarn through all the remaining loops, draw up firmly and weave in the wrong side of work.
I also like to use Margaret Olander’s pattern when I am less specific with sizing and have scrap yarn. Her pattern uses scrap worsted yarn for 4mm needles. I recommend doing the slow decrease from the pattern below as this decrease leaves gaps on the top once finished and extra work is required to patch that up.
|Age (in Months)||Cast On||Hat Height|
Rounds 1-10: (K1, P1) around.
2-3 Rounds: K around.
Knit until specified hat height: plain, alternating colors or with Fair Isle designs
Knit until approximately .5”-1” below desired hat height.
Begin the quickie decreases:
Decrease Row 1: *K1, K2tog* repeat all around
Decrease Row 2: *K2tog* repeat all around
Decrease Row 3: *K2tog* repeat all around
Thread tapestry needle, catch remaining stitches and pull tightly. Secure and weave in all ends
For DK yarn, I like to use Mama’s Stitchery Project’s Basic Baby Hat pattern.
|Age (in Months)||Circumferencen||Cast On||Hat Height|
22 stitches and 30 rows = 4 inches in stockinette
0.5 to 1 oz (40 to 80 yards) of DK weight baby yarn
Size 6 (4 mm)
k = knit
p = purl
k2tog = knit two together
ssk = slip one knitwise, slip one knitwise, insert left needle into front of both slipped stitches and knit.
Cast on sts according to the desired size. Join to knit in the round. Divide stitches between double pointed needles or needles for a magic loop. Divide with multiples of 12 on each needle.
Ribbing (6 rounds for preemie size, 8 rounds for other sizes): k2, p2 repeated across round
Knit until the hat measures the desired height for size including the ribbing.
Repeat across the round
Rnd 1: k4, k2tog, ssk, k4 – 50 (60, 70, 80, 90) stitches
Rnd 2: k
Rnd 3: k3, k2tog, ssk, k3 – 40 (48, 56, 64, 72) stitches
Rnd 4: k
Rnd 5: k2, k2tog, ssk, k2 – 30 (36, 42, 48, 54) stitches
Rnd 6: k
Rnd 7: k1, k2tog, ssk, k1 – 20 (24, 28, 32, 36) stitches
Rnd 8: k
Rnd 9: k2tog, ssk – 10 (12, 14, 16, 18) stitches
Cut the yarn with several inches to work with. With a yarn needle, pull the yarn through all the remaining loops, secure and weave in end.
Knitting the bear toque
- 8 rows of k1p1
- k 3 rows, p 3 rows until desired length
- finish as usual
- ear: CO 25 sts. k1p1/p1k1 ribbing for 5 rows. Thread ends like finishing toque and secure tightly. use loose ends at CO and ending to sew onto toque. Make 2 ears.
This pattern contains 3 textured toques. The King Charles Brocade pattern took me a very long time to knit because it required so much concentration!